Wednesday, March 20, 2019

DeepNexus Update

Trouble on the homefront? A bit.

The DeepNexus project, conceived to utilize aging hardware and still-usable Windows versions to create a supplemental backup solution, has fallen on hard times. The initial backup still exists, however I have long been unable to refresh the data with newer information in need of safekeeping. 

There is an issue with the software environment that I have not been able to sort out and it is preventing the computer from communicating on our network. I remember vaguely the frustrations with sharing limitation in WindowsXP, but these vague memories are not assisting me in resurrecting this old system. 

Currently the role of DeepNexus is being supplemented by a 2-bay Mediasonic enclosure housing a couple old 1TB drives. This setup is volatile, though, and if either of those drives were to fail the "backup" data would be lost with it. Monthly checks are utilized to verify the ongoing integrity of this solution, but the DeepNexus continues to sit, unattended and unable to function in the parameters of our home environment.

I remain uncertain about what course of action I ought to take with the old server. It is currently only using two aged PATA drives as data storage and I wonder if I could replicate this on a more modern setup which would more easily communicate with our other assets. I certainly have enough hardware lying about... except for the PSU.

Because of the old form factor of the hardware in DeepNexus, I was able to make use of the old 600W Enermax professional PSU I had purchased shortly before the new revision to the ATX standard. It isn't exactly compatible with newer motherboards, but I am sure it could be fashioned into something that would work.

No comments:

Post a Comment