Friday, April 10, 2015

AMDLS Update In Hand

I've placed all the parts on order and the AMDLS is about to become the IntelLS. The name won't change, though, since "Intel" fails to match my initials. This is going to be my first Intel build, as years of bad experiences with Intel-based computers have thus far kept me away from the chip manufacturing giant.  So, what will the parts be? Well, first a word about the layout of my systems.

AMDLS had, in its last iteration, been transformed into my permanent LAN computer, taking up residence at a friend's house in anticipation of my spending more time gaming socially than I have in the past. As it turns out, gaming in general is something I have very little time for these days, so the AMDLS computer has lain mostly dormant since this transition.
The other part of this change which was significant was the transition of cases. For years, the AMDLS system made its home in the excellent Fong-Kai FK320B super mid-tower. During the crossfire build of 2009, I moved the whole system into the tiny Ark WB-27 case with a custom chromalusion paintjob. This case was far too cramped from day one. Transitioning into the LAN role, I felt it was time to move to a more portable base for the system, and opted to move it into the amazing Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 case. This case, at last, matches the excellent cooling capabilities of the old Fong-Kai but exceeds its predecessor in portability, weighing significantly less and being endowed with a handle for carrying.

It is important to me to keep the Storm Scout as the LAN computer case. I had considered moving the AMDLS back into the venerable Fong-Kai upon its return home, but have decided to return to the Ark WB-27 instead. This might seem an odd choice, but I've been noticing the noise output of the Fong-Kai more and more these days. The current iteration of the Delyth PC is sitting in a Fong-Kai case in our living room, where AMDLS will end up. The noise is not extreme, but it is enough to be annoying. It is my main goal to eliminate the majority of this noise pollution from our main living space. My vision for the AMDLS is that it would be unnoticeable unless we desire to use it.
This has informed my decision to move the computer back into the Ark WB-27 since that case, for all its space limitations, was always very successfully a quiet enclosure.

But the most important part? What new hardware is coming into play?
Sadly, nothing high-end. Those days are currently in the past and not at all in the future. This is a decidedly midrange PC, but also a significant upgrade over the "high-end" parts which have defined the AMDLS for years. Without further adieu:

PSU: OCZ 700W Modular
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
HSU: Corsair HydroCool H50
RAM: G.Skill RaptorX 16GB DDR3 2400
GPU: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 960
HDD1: Samsung 840EVO SATA SSD 120GB
HDD2: Western Digital Blue 500GB
ODD1: DVD-RW
OS: Windows 8
CASE: Ark WB-27

No comments:

Post a Comment