Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Poseditor History/Overview

Approximately one year ago, it came to my attention that I possessed almost all of the necessary parts to build a secondary system. This realization came at an opportune moment, for I had been lamenting the fact that the latest versions of my favorite NLE would not work on my system due to the integrated sound card. I lacked any updated sound card and I had (at the time) lacked a slot to put a sound card in. 

I was considering purchasing a suitable audio processor, but to fit my needs the price would have been quite high, so I hesitated. This is when my inventory of parts revealed the availability of a fairly updated system's worth of unused parts. Instead of buying a sound card for around $100, I could simply purchase a processor for around $50 and get this second system up and running.

As an added bonus, because it would be completely independent of my main system, I could easily install my old, unused copy of WindowsXP - which would make the computer compatible with my long-defunct Matrox RT.X100 capture card. (I still insist this is a great capture card, though its limited viability did it little justice. There isn't much need for an analog capture source in general these days. That aside, I was more than able to find some need for it, which further prompted my machinations.)

Having said all of that, I now introduce the new addition to the family; named Poseditor. This system is slightly outdated, but more than adequate for its purpose. I haven't yet spoken of it because of the amount of time it has taken to get the system up and running in a fully functional state. 

Installing WindowsXP with all of the touchy old components I decided to use had proven much more difficult than I anticipated. A year later, the system is finally on its feet and good to go. 

MB:  Asus M4A785-M
CPU: 3.3Ghz AthlonII X3 455
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2 (@3GB)
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 650W
GPU: Radeon HD 5570
APU: Creative Audigy Platinum EX
VPU: Matrox RT.X100
HDD1: Western Digital PATA 400GB
HDD2: Western Digital PATA 400GB
HDD3: Seagate SATA 80GB
ODD1: LG DVD+/-RW
ODD2: LG DVD+/-RW
OS: Windows XP Professional

No comments:

Post a Comment